Monday, September 12, 2011

Titration for Biodiesel

So now we are going to do an actual titration for biodiesel. There's 2 parts to doing a biodiesel titration. There's the 1st part you only do once and that is getting your titration solution prepared.

You need to use this biodiesel titration solution for multiple titrations nevertheless, I suggest that each 90 days you dump it and put a new titration solution together, and that is because the KOH, the sodium hydroxide, the potassium hydroxide has a tendency to oxidize with time, air, and UV rays, so you only need to be certain that you have got fresh stuff or you are going to get fake readings. The very first thing we are going to do is we are going to take and add a litre of purified water to a container.

So there is a litre. Then I am going to measure out, with my extraordinarily correct scale, one gram of the catalyst I am going to use when I make biodiesel.

My catalyst of choice is potassium hydroxide, so I am going to balance my scale out, and then I am going to set my scale to one gram. Notice it will fall. Terribly conscientiously I am going to measure out one gm. of KOH. You are going to be astonished by how very little one gram is. It's exceedingly important to wear safety gloves while you are doing this because this stuff actually can burn. It's quite powerful stuff. Kay and we have got a gram. What we are going to do is take this gram of our catalyst and we are going to introduce it to our water. Then we are going to permit this to melt. It'll take a tiny amount of time to melt here, sodium hydroxide takes a long time to melt BTW. It's one reason I really like to use potassium hydroxide, is potassium hydroxide will nearly melt on contact. Um, once this is melted we are going to be placing it in this jug. So I am going to let this wait for a minute and we'll stop for a second and come back when it's melted. Kay, we all know have totally melted catalyst in our liquid here, so we are going to just pour this right into our jar. This jar, we're going to use this for our titration solution going forward. Terribly slowly, I am getting it in there. Kay we've finished putting our stuff in there. I am going to seal this up, and just to be certain it's good and mixed in I shake it a tiny bit. The very next thing we are going to do is do an actual titration. You can put this ( the container ) away, your funnel away and put it aside for when you must remake your titration solution because you are only going to need to do this once. Um, this is perhaps when you've got to be the most wary though as you are handling chemicals. One thing that is extremely important is you have to make certain that your chemicals always stay dry. If they do not, they will ruin themselves very like hydrogen peroxide ; if you leave the lid off it'll destroy itself also. That is due to the fact that oxygen from the air will react with it and neutralise it.

If your chemicals are clumpy in any fashion, shape, or form, these are nice and clean, then you could need to get new potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide. That is one vital thing to grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment